Skip to Content



The College of Education offers programs of study leading to certificates or licenses in several areas.

Detailed information about each one may be obtained by contacting the person listed via email.

Athletic Training License

Students who complete the Athletic Program are prepared to take a test administered by The Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). Graduates who complete the test successfully earn a certificate issued by the Board of Certification (BOC) of CAATE and a Texas license as a certified athletic trainer. 

For additional information contact Dr. Darcy Downey,

Public Health Certificate

Majors in Health and Wellness promotion with at least 25 semester hours of health education course work (37 quarter hours) are eligible to take the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) Exam. This is a national certification administered by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC). Most students that take this exam do so the last semester before graduation.

For additional information, contact Dr. Ron Williams, 

Recreational Administration Certifications

Upon graduation, all students in the Recreation Administration undergraduate program are eligible to take the Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) examination. Additionally, those students with a Concentration in Therapeutic Recreation are eligible to take the Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) examination.

For additional information contact Dr. Jo An Zimmermann, 

Teacher Certification

Student who earn a degree, including required teacher certification coursework, are recommended to take appropriate Texas Examination of Educator Standards (TExES) to become certified to teach. The State of Texas issues a 5-year renewable certificate to those who pass the TExES. 

For more information contact the Office of Educator Preparation Stephanie Long,